From:
jquakenb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:08:47 -0500
I am preparing a Northwestern Loucheux Indian, bead-embroidered tobacco pouch
c 1890 (in my Museum Collection Care & Mgt. Class) for LONG TERM storage.
DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY/CLEANING/STORAGE (OF WHAT APPEARS TO BE
GLASS/METAL)ETHNOGRAPHIC BEADWORK?  My research to date on beadwork
specifically, has been unsuccessful. Although a few of the beads on the sinew
string are loose, the general condition of the worsted wool, velvet and cotton
pouch with braided wool yarn drawstrings, appears to be fragile, yet good.  I
see no mold or pests.  There is no odor.  There is no effervescence under
black light (metal beads)  I viewed the trace contents of the pouch interior
under microscope.  They appear to be bits of styrofoam, sand, dust, flint and
particles of tobacco leaves; all were stored in a separate capsule.  I vacumed
the outside of the pouch through a fine mesh screen.  I am planning to use a
pliable insert inside of the pouch. OTHER HELPFUL HINTS WILL BE GREATLY
APPRECIATED. I NEED YOUR RESPONSES AS PART OF MY CLASS RESEARCH PAPER :)
Thanks in advance.
Jill Quakenbush
Graduate Student
American History/Museum Studies