From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:23:37 -0800
Hi Linda,

Strangely enough many years ago when I was in archaeological
conservation I ran into a research project that is the reverse of your
query. An anthropologist who specialized in the analysis of
fingerprint evidence on ancient ceramics wanted a non-destructive
technique for getting precise print impressions from ancient copper
alloys. In the precise measurement of the patterns and morphology of
the prints under a micorscope he was able to discern race and sex of
the pottery makers and then through the analysis of a large body of
such data from well provenanced sites he was able to demonstrate how
the role of gender in pottery making changed over time. He brought me
a Moche period copper alloy ceremonial axe that had been in a looted
tomb - and the axe had been torn away from the body at some point.
There was skin mineralized by the copper salts on the surface of the
axe (along with some textile). And I was able to help design a
technique where an impression could be lifted and mounted under a
microscope with almost no effect on the artifact.

This led me into a bit of research into the nature of fingerprints.
Depending on the substrate matieral the actual fingerprint can be more
damaging that the powders (usually on metals - many of you have seen
fingerprints etched into historic metals). Sometimes the vapors from
cynoacrylates (superglue) contains acids that react with the chemistry
of fingerprint residues to make a print visible - this can cause some
damage, especially if left uncleaned afterwards. Interestingly enough,
the chemistry of a child's fingerprints are very different from those
of adult's and require different methods (I read a research report by
an FBI agent on this).

So, I think it entirely depends on what the material is. I think that
the dark powders may be more of an issue as they usually contain
lampblack - and on unfired or low fired pottery that may be an issue.

But there are other things to reason out in this. First, is it of more
value to possibly identify a thief and recover the stolen artifacts?
Second, I would first look for prints on other surfaces such as door
handles, glass, etc. before thinking that an artifact would be the
better place to source a print.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey