From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:10:55 -0700
Hi, Anna --

As a gardener (not to mention a seasonal allergy sufferer), I'd be suspicious of using sterilized potting soil or other "clean dirt" in an indoor exhibit space.  Methods of killing insects, arthropods and other microorganisms that thrive in soil would not necessarily destroy mold spores.

If humidity levels in the exhibit area increase or the soil gets wet (from a leaky air conditioner or pipe), you'll wind up with a  mold problem.  If the soil gets wet, staining of any adjacent surfaces is likely to occur. Even if the area stays dry, I'd be concerned about soil particles winding up in the HVAC system or on people's shoes and clothing and being redistributed around the building.

Have you checked with any exhibit preparators for a better, more permanent solution? Many natural history museums have open dioramas with amazingly realistic-looking foregrounds that don't involve real soil or "clean dirt."  I'm not sure where Gaston County is but if you're in the western Great Lakes region, the Field Museum (www,fmnh.org) and the Milwaukee Public Museum (www.mpm.edu) come to mind as museums with exhibits departments that you can contact for advice.

Good luck,

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI