From:
Volunteer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:22:17 -0500
For those who are interested in getting an internship abroad, I would
recommend that you look at the BUNAC (http://www.bunac.org.uk/) and CIEE
(http://www.ciee.org/) sites.  Both organizations provide ways for young
professionals to obtain work visas for up to 12 months, depending on the
country you choose.  Countries to choose from include the United Kingdom,
Ireland, France, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, Costa Rica, etc.  Most of
the programs require you to be a full time student or a new graduate
(starting the program within 6 months of graduation), but I believe
Australia and New Zealand allow you entrance up to the age of 30.  In 1997,
I participated in the program to the United Kingdom.  I sent 80 CVs to
various museums in hopes of finding a paid internship or short-term job.  I
had several inquiries for unpaid work, and was lucky enough to get a
grant-funded curatorial/documentation job at a museum in north Wales.
Living abroad has been an amazing experience (one that I have repeated 4
separate times- it's addicting!).  Should anyone need more information,
please feel free to contact me, and I will do my best to help out.
Good luck!
Angela

Angela Eilering
Director of Volunteer Services