From:
"D.H. Mattison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:45:57 -0800
January 14, 2003

Hello,

Pardon the duplication if you've read this solicitation elsewhere, but I'd
like to here from anyone on the list who's using, contemplating using, or
has no use for a wiki.

Ok, if you're like me and were only paying attention half the time to Web
developments over the past decade, a wiki is a collaborative Web site. It's
kind of like a group blog except it's infinitely more adaptable and does
not lock you into a temporal mode.

I'm writing an article (deadline: January 31) for Searcher magazine
(http://www.infotoday.com/searcher) about wikis and have set one up for
anyone to try. Registration is required in order to edit the pages that are
not locked. Many of the pages, however, have a comment form to which you
can add information to a page without having to register or log in. If you
register and want to practice, use the Sandbox page.

You'll find the Searchers' Swiki at http://searchers.swiki.net

Unless you're familiar with Swiki editing conventions--they differ from the
classic Wiki developed by Ward Cunningham (see his wiki, the very first in
the world from March 1995, at
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors)--please read the Help sections and
practice in the Sandbox before attempting to add or edit pages. One of the
big differences between classic Wiki and Swiki editing is that the latter
allows HTML markup, with some restrictions, to be inserted into the page
using the Edit Page form.

If there is a general Museum Wiki, I'd appreciate being directed to the
URL. The only public, active museum-related wiki I could find through a
quick Google search for "museum wiki" is the Green Museum Wiki
(http://wiki.greenmuseum.org/index.php/HomePage). The Green Museum is a
virtual one (and a very fine one).

I'll look forward to your comments and contributions!

David Mattison
Victoria, BC