From:
Nora Weiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:34:24 -0700
I think the term  "Baby Boomers" has as many implied attitudes and
lifestyles as the term "Gen-X", and carries connotations of more than just
age.  To me it describes someone around 50ish, former yuppie (now too old be
called "young"), driving an SUV (or Lexus), a few kids hitting college age,
shopping at "Restoration Hardware", etc....  That is just MY interpretation.
Someone else might think of the term "Baby Boomer" as meaning nothing more
than "50ish", and "Gen-X "as meaning nothing more than "late 20s".  As a
Gen-Xer, I don't have anything against the term "Gen-X".  In fact, let the
media turn it into a negative term-their stereotypes don't impact my daily
life.  Making us all out to be slackers doesn't change the fact that
Gen-Xers are riding the entrepreneurial Internet wave, heading up start-ups,
working great jobs in a booming economy, making a killing on IPOs, etc.
Hardly slacking!  From a marketing point of view, I see it as an easy way to
define a certain demographic, and I doubt the original poster intends to
plaster buses with ads touting "GEN-X NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM".  Just the other
side of the coin!