From:
Adele Barbato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:50:38 -0400
Hello All,

I have a question to membership managers and development staff. We are
updating some of our membership materials, and I have noticed that
several local (to us) museum/history organizations have a "friend" or
"national" membership level specifically catering to out-of-state
visitors. It is usually a discounted membership price that excludes the
free admission benefit for those who would not be able to visit anyway,
but allows for the member to receive publications and notices. We are a
site where 90% of our visitor is out-of-state, and so this category is
very appealing.

My question is to those organizations who currently offer this type of
membership level: what percentage of your membership revenue is from
this category? Furthermore, have you found that local members will opt
for this cheaper category and forgo the free admission, thus lowering
annual membership revenue?

Thanks for your responses!

Adele Barbato
Office and Membership Manager
The Bostonian Society/Old State House Museum
206 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02109
p 617-720-1713
f  617-720-3289