From:
David Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 23:01:56 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Starlyn
D'Angelo <[log in to unmask]> writes
>What are your strongest arguments for upholding the "no strings attached"
>policy for donations to museum collections?
>I am a young professional and occassionally I find that I must back up my
>opinions with hard facts or the words of others before people listen
>to me.  I insist that no professional museum promises donors permanent
>display of an object (this is noted several times in the
>Museum-L archives but no rationale is provided).  I need the words of other
>professionals to back me up.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Starlyn D'Angelo, Curator
>Old Stone Fort Museum Complex

The best UK 'official' source I can find (thanks to Emmeline Leary of
the MGC) is a Model Collecting and Disposal Policy prepared by th
Scottish Museums Council in 1997.

3.3 Items offered to the museum as gifts or bequests will not normally
be accepted if they are subject to any restrictive covenant or special
conditions, such as that they be displayed in a particular way. In
exceptional circumstances, if the Curator feels that the item(s) in
question are of over-riding importance, the Governing Body may be asked
to approve the acquisition of a specific item to which conditions are
attached. A general exception to this rule will be deemed to exist in
respect of conditions only intended to assure the permanent protection
of the object in the museum collections ... (ie to prevent disposal)

Hope this helps.

David

David Dawson                                    email:
mda ICT Outreach Manager                        advicepoint: 01223 315760

Supporting cultural information management      www.mda.org.uk

mda Conference - The Cultural Grid - Content and Connections, Sept 9-11 1998