From:
rich jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 15:52:00 PST
I'm transmitting this message on behalf of Paul Krapfel (pronounced
KRAH-fel) who is the education coordinator at Carter House Natural Science
Museum in Redding, California.  You can either respond c/o my e-mail address
or contact him directly by mail:  PO Box 990185, Redding, CA 96099 or call
(916)225-4125.

>From Paul:

        We have been creating localized science curriculum for several
years.  For example, an earth science unit on volcanoes that uses our local
volcanoes; an ornithology curriculum that uses local birds in a
bird-of-the-week format, an ecology unit that investigates the connections
between oak trees and their environment.  Several generalizations from this
work: teachers are grateful because the units are cheap to teach because
most of the materials exist in abundance outside and because they themselves
don't know this material and so learn themselves from these curriculums;
students respond enthusiastically because they get outside, they go deeper
into a subject than generic curriculum takes them, they sense that these
investigations truly are open-ended - there is no recipe answer at the back
of the book, and because these investigations are hands-on; local
foundations and businesses enjoy supporting this work because their support
leads to a product that enhances the local community and that stays around
doing its work for many years.
        The main requirement for doing this work successfully is creating
the communication between those who know the science at a deep level, who
can articulate the Big Ideas in a subject and those who can transform this
information into child-appropriate, hands-on investigations and lessons.
       We would enjoy making contact with other museums that are doing
similar work or encourage with assistance any museum or nature center
interested in this work.

Rich Jones                              Governing Board For:
Development Director                    Carter House Natural Science Museum
Shasta Natural Science Association      Redding Arboretum By The River
[log in to unmask]              SNSA Environmental Resources Center