From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:44:42 +0000
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lizzetta LeFalle-Collins wrote:

+++++ [CLIP] +++++

> She then said something like " Well, I'm sure you understand that we want to
> nominate people who supported the president." I agreed. She encouraged me
> saying that there might be an opportunity in the future. I assured her that
> I welcomed the opportunity. End of conversation. I would have been honored
> to serve. I didn't realize the amount of partisanship in the selection of
> the advisory body.

=======================

Sounds familiar from the other side of the Atlantic.

Under the last Conservative government Lady Denton, the Minister in the
Department of Trade and Industry responsible for many hundreds of
nominations to public bodies (which here are not subject to any sort of
American- or French-style confirmation process) was questioned in
Parliament about her appointments policy.  She freely admitted that she
had "never knowingly appointed any Labour Party supporter to any
position".

Of course, these days all high profile British appointments are supposedly
reserved for "Tony's cronies"!!

Patrick Boylan