From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 17:28:01 PST
On Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:17:15 -0500  Robin Lipp wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Mar 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>

>QUESTION:>      Robin,
>>      Are you planning on charging a fee for loaning artifacts?
>>      To whom would you be loaning specimens that you would be
charging a
>>      fee?
>>      Carole
>>
>ANSWER:  We plan to charge a minimal administration/processing fee of
>$25.00 to all museums not in our immediate vicintiy, ie: the
Indianapolis
>area. We don't plan to charge museums we have developed close
reciprocal
>relationships with if they are nearby, ie: Mathers Museum in
Bloomington.
>We also plan to charge not only shipping fees, but also for the
materials
>used in packing.
>We loan out over 100 objects per year, and along with our very busy
>incoming loan program, processing of new collections objects and
caring for
>objects already in permanent collections, we felt we needed to put a
>"price" on outgoing loans.
>Any comments from the group??
>
>Thanks
>Robin Lipp
>Collections Manager
>The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

We also charge for shipping and packing expenses, and a modest fee to
cover staff time & work.  One simple question to keep in mind: if the
borrower doesn't pay for these things, who does?  Does any museum
really have a budget item called "expenses in connection with loaning
objects out" ?
Name: amalyah keshet
Director, Visual Resources, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
E-mail: akeshet@ imj.org.il
Date: 03/22/96