From:
David Formanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:00:38 EST
Refer to this reply/forward opf March 19 in the Museum list archives:

From: Adrienne Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: FW: [Smoking Pipe] (fwd)

"To get a listing of available log files, send a one-line e-mail message to :

Get Museum-L FILELIST "

Archaeologists have developed a pipestem chronology. Over time, the ratios of
diameters of pipe and opening grew, I think I remember correctly, larger, or
at least varied on a linear graph.

The chronology is useful because clay pipestems are ubiquitous in Dutch and
English settlement deposits from the 18 and 19th centuries. As they became
clogged, users would progressively break off the tips until the stem was too
short. Remember Clement L. Moore's line, "...and the stub of a pipe he held
clenched in his teeth." He is old New York's St. Nicholas, inherited from its
Dutch period.

David Formanek
Cyrus E. Dallin Art Museum
Arlington MA 02476 USA