From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:32:42 -0700
I must admit I sorta kinda have a leg up on this.  I'm
currently working in an IT department where RFID,
handhelds, and needs-based software are developed.
That's not what I do, but what I'm exposed to.  I
remember going to Ellis Island and enjoying the audio
tours (my first exposure to this concept) back in
1996.  It clearly enhanced the experience.

This would simply take it a step further up the
technology ladder.

My favorite exhibits as a child at our then Museum of
Science and Industry--now California Science
Center--were the interactive ones.  Give me something
that "gives back," and I'm a lot happier.

I understand, too, the problems of the public and
sensitive technology.  But they are currently making a
new kind of laptop that is supposedly rugged and can
be banged around without a lot of hassle.  If they can
do it for that, they may well do it for an IPAQ or
comparable device.

Now, if you can package it as education and say it
will be used for school field trip education, you may
be able to approach Gates or one of the other computer
magnates (I know they get hit all the time, but that
doesn't mean don't try, just be innovative in your
packaging) to provide a supply at little or no cost.

Next, how do you get the seniors to use the technology
without having to do Computer 101 classes.  Get a
sophisticated senior, a docent or two, to do the
equipment instruction.  You'll have a lot less
resistance.

--- Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> LOVE it that would be fabulous! This is innovative
> -how clever you are to
> think of this.
>
> It's pretty neat how most of us, while working
> hands-on everyday can have
> ideas like this come to mind so seemingly quickly
> (of course it's our
> experiences and education that allow this to
> occur)...and we don't have to spend  hours
> brainstorming!
>
> Sometimes it can be the most simple detail that can
> make a difference. So I
> am reminded of an occurrence in an archaeology lab I
> worked in. A student was
> sorting a soil sample for iron scale (unaided -no
> magnifier).

Indigo Nights