From:
Colin Hynson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:01:05 +0100
There was a song in England called 'Matchstick Men' which was about the
Manchester-based artist L.S. Lowry.

You will need two guitars and a small children's choir to faithfully
recreate the original song which was sort of middle of the
road/ballad/folk. I have to tell you that although it reached No. 1 in the
British charts in the mid-1970s it is now universally regarded in this
country as one of the most awful songs ever to reach that exalted position.
The singers were one-hit wonders and they sank without a trace - much to
everybody's relief.

I know where I can get the score and I can send it to you. Any rendition
would certainly be remembered for some time to come.

All the best,

Colin Hynson (Education Oficer, Castle Museum, Norwich)