From:
Timothy Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 00:00:13 -0400
I'll toss my story in here...

As many of you may recall I just recently lucked into the position I am
in, and it's not even close to what I want to be doing eventually (I
keep telling myself it will look good on the CV, it will look good on
the CV).

Over the past two years I've sent out probably 100 applications or more,
and out of those, I received two interviews (funny enough, both from
Polk County, Florida). Several of the places I applied I very much
wanted to work at, so I diligently followed up (but still received no
official word). Out of those 100, perhaps 15 or 20 ever bothered to
respond with even a formal letter recognizing that my application had
been received. I honestly don't care if there are 100 or 1000
applications, I believe it is good business practice to send a form
letter, postcard, bulk email, something saying that it had been
received. I've even contemplated including a letter with my resumes and
applications with two check boxes in it...

Anyway, I say I lucked into my current position because an old friend of
mine (from the first Museum Management class I took at Florida State)
knew there was a part time docent job at her Art and Science museum.
Well one thing lead to another, and through hard work and my strong
back, I've made myself very useful to the museum, and I do a wide
variety of things. I enjoy my work, and someday I hope to be able to
apply it to a history museum.

So, in short, I would say it is a combination of things, knowing people,
and education. Good luck to you!

Best,
Tim