From:
GailFJJMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:54:24 GMT
We are approaching our annual art students' exhibition and once again the
debate has begun as to how to appropriately display graphic design entries.  We
require all works entered to be ready for hanging. Works on paper must be
framed or accompanied with glass and clips (we have even accepted works covered
with mylar).   I realize that graphic design poses special problems and that
traditional framing and matting methods are generally not appropriate, but
there must be some solution that allows the works to be protected, consistently
presented, and someone in line with their colleagues in the fine arts who have
submitted paintings, photographs, and prints.  Several years ago we allowed
works to be submitted in portfolio sleeves. This was a disaster. It not only
looked bad pinned to the museum walls but throughout the exhibition additional
problems arose as the pieces fell in the sleeves.

I would greatly appreciate comments on this dilemna. If you have policies
concerning this issue, please share them. If you just have experience, I would
love to hear about it. Thank you in advance.

Gail Kana Anderson
Assistant Director/Curator of Collections
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art
The University of Oklahoma
[log in to unmask], or [log in to unmask]