From:
Gerald rojek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:21:00 -0800
 Well, I'm no fan of the corporate business types
trying to run cultural organizations on the sole basis
of some kind of finance skills or "business" savvy,
but I do believe a skilled fiscal officer is a
necessary in today's non-profit environment. Now maybe
that officer doesn't have to be the director or even
the deputy director, but they should be someone (in
the upper ranks) who cares about the institution, its
mission, and its staff.

Over the last five years far too many institutions
have pulled in upright MBAS thinking they were going
to solve the institution's troubles merely by
balancing its books. In doing this, non-profits (and
often their trustees too!) neglected what they do
(some kind of speciality) for the bottom-line
mentality. I believe some organizations have suffered
from it. There is nothing worse than working with an
institution where some of their officers are
completely ignorant of the thing they specialize in
(kinds of exhibitions, scholarship, education
outreach, etc.). Remember, for decades many
non-profits did great work without Hobbesian bean
counters or corporate junk bonders hording power and
delegating authority.

 For a current peek at the current CEO jingles check
out an article by James Surowiecki in The New Yorker
titled "Board Stiffs" on the Financial Page from the
March 8 issue. It's not an article from the non-profit
world but it does provide some perspective on
leadership.

Gerald Rojek