From:
Andover Historical Society <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:37:31 -0500
I work at a small history museum with over 55,000 objects of local
importance.  I report to a collection committee which acts as an advisory
panel for collection activities that include exhibitions.  An exhibition
committee functions as an operating committee within the collection
committee and reports to the collection committee on its activities.  As
curator, I manage or oversee all collection and exhibition activities.  Both
committees give me advise or help when I need it.  I sometimes feel I could
do things quicker without having to report to others but no one person,
especially in a not-for-profit, should should make decisions alone.  If the
committee makes a decision based on my recommendation, I feel like I have
support and can share the responsibility if something should go wrong.  Its
a kind of protection.  Hopefully, your committee will agree with your
philosophy.
Tom Edmonds
Andover Historical Society