From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 1994 22:08:07 -0500
Hi Jennifer,

 A response to your query as to the proper environmental conditions for
composite objects on exhibit is a complex subject. I would
recommend CARRING FOR COLLECTIONS, which is now avaliable in paperback as
an extremely accessible text for collectors and collection managers.

In addition to providing stable relative humidity levels appropriate to
the most sensitive material in the object, you have to monitor lighting
levels and duration of exposure. Most importantly of all you have to be
very wary about selecting the materials which physically construct the
exhibit. An enclosed exhibit case is a microclimate, a relatively
enclosed cell; woods, paints and finishes, textiles, paper products,
glues, dyes, and textiles can all contain organic acids which will
volatize and build up to significant concentrations in an enclosed case.
Acid-sensitive materials can often show "burning" or etching due to
physical contact with acidic materials. Materials such as lead are
extremely sensitive to even a few parts per billion of organic acid
vapours in air. Museum conservators are often called upon to test exhibit
and building materials by exposing metal coupons to the material under
elevated temperatures for 30 days in a test tube. You should always seek
out a conservator's advice concerning exhibit case materials and in this
way you can prevent significant problems from occurring to your objects
on exhibition.

There are many, simple, preventative steps which can be taken to maintain
sensitive objects on exhibition without incurring huge costs. In order to
do this you need to monitor and study your exhibition environment
(there are even different climates in a single room). Then research and
find ways to minimize environmental flucations and materials interactions.
By simply walking by your objects a couple of times a day you can become
aware of potential problems and work to prevent them.

If you have problems or questions don't hesitate to call a knowledgable
conservator (not a restorer) whom has worked on Museum exhibitions. You
can get referrals from the American Institute For the Conservation of
Artistic and Historic Works (AIC) for conservators in your area. The IMS
also provides grant funding for small cultural institutions to
contract conservators to assess and treat their collections.

I hope that this has been of some help for you. We have developed a set
of pamphlets on the care of collections for collectors and the lay
public. If you are interested in receiving a set then please respond with
your snail-mail address.

Best of Luck!

Dave Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P.O. Box 1776
Williamsburg, VA 23187-1776
(804) 220-7039
=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=