From:
Preservation Lab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:29:06 -0500
I work for Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites.  We operate a general preservation laboratory for historic artifacts, but have recently (last 2 or 3 years) been conducting electrolysis on a regular basis.  I know of other institutions that contract out their conservation, but we found it to be more cost effective to do our own electrolysis.  I have discovered that even though it is good to have some specialized equipment when doing electrolysis it is generally "kitchen science".

I would highly recommend that you contact the folks at Texas A&M University's Nautical Archeology Department.  Even if the artifacts you plan to work on are not from a marine environment they are a huge help in establishing and setting up your electrolysis.  The entire TAMU staff are pleasant to work with.  The person in charge of their electrolysis is Jim Jobling and he may be the most help to you.   He can be reached by phone at (979) 862-7791 or emailed at [log in to unmask] .  Check out their website at http://nautarch.tamu.edu/napcrl.htm

Good Luck,

Josh K. Headlee
Preservation Technician
Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites
Preservation Laboratory
T - (770) 389-7811
F - (770) 389-7813
E - [log in to unmask]

Hi all,

The Ohio Historical Society is considering establishing a lab dedicated to preserving iron artifacts and would like to get some feedback from people who may have already created such a lab.  I would be interested to hear if you have a space dedicated to electrolysis or if it is general lab space that can be used on a case by case basis. Also, are you aware of other state museums that regularly do the process or is it a job that is usually "farmed out" to an external conservator.   Any advise, guidance and/or other leads you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

> Linda Pansing
> Archaeology Collections
> Assistant Curator