From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:51:50 -0400
The facts given out by Iraq Bodycount are pretty well supported. The figures
are considered pretty solid by folks involved in statistical studies. I take
the liberty of posting the basic methodology:
Methodology:

1. Overview
Casualty figures are derived from a comprehensive survey of online media
reports and eyewitness accounts. Where these sources report differing
figures, the range (a minimum and a maximum) are given. All results are
independently reviewed and error-checked by at least two members of the Iraq
Body Count project team in addition to the original compiler before
publication.
2. Sources
Our sources include public domain newsgathering agencies with web access. A
list of some core sources is given below. Further sources will be added
provided they meet acceptable project standards (see below).
ABC - ABC News (USA)
AFP - Agence France-Presse
AP - Associated Press
AWST - Aviation Week and Space Technology
Al Jaz - Al Jazeera network
BBC - British Broadcasting Corporation
BG - Boston Globe
Balt. Sun - The Baltimore Sun
CT - Chicago Tribune
CO - Commondreams.org
CSM - Christian Science Monitor
DPA - Deutsche Presse-Agentur
FOX - Fox News
GUA - The Guardian (London)
HRW - Human Rights Watch
HT - Hindustan Times
ICRC - International Committ of the Red Cross
IND - The Independent (London)
IO - Intellnet.org
JT - Jordan Times
LAT - Los Angeles Times
MEN - Middle East Newsline
MEO - Middle East Online
MER - Middle East Report
MH - Miami Herald
NT - Nando Times
NYT - New York Times
Reuters - (includes Reuters Alertnet)
SABC - South African Broadcasting Corporation
SMH - Sydney Morning Herald
Sg.News - The Singapore News
Tel- The Telegraph (London)
Times - The Times (London)
TOI - Times of India
TS - Toronto Star
UPI - United Press International
WNN - World News Network
WP - Washington Post
For a source to be considered acceptable to this project it must comply with
the following standards: (1) site updated at least daily; (2) all stories
separately archived on the site, with a unique url (see Note 1 below); (3)
source widely cited or referenced by other sources; (4) English Language
site; (5) fully public (preferably free) web-access.
The project relies on the professional rigour of the approved reporting
agencies. It is assumed that any agency that has attained a respected
international status operates its own rigorous checks before publishing
items (including, where possible, eye-witness and confidential sources). By
requiring that two independent agencies publish a report before we are
willing to add it to the count, we are premising our own count on the
self-correcting nature of the increasingly inter-connected international
media network.
Note 1. Some sites remove items after a given time period, change their
urls, or place them in archives with inadequate search engines. For this
reason it is project policy that urls of sources are NOT published on the
iraqbodycount site.
3. Data extraction
Data extraction policy is based on 3 criteria, some of which work in
opposite directions.
a. Sufficient information must be extracted to ensure that each incident is
differentiated from proximate incidents with which it could be potentially
confused.
b. Economy of data extraction is required, for efficiency of both production
and public scrutiny.
c. Data extraction should be uniform, so that the same information is
available for the vast majority of incidents. This is best guaranteed by
restricting the number of items of information per incident to the core
facts that most news reports tend to include.
The pragmatic tensions in the above have led to the decision to extract the
following information only for each incident:
* Date of incident
* Time of incident
* Location of incident
* Target as stated by military sources
* Weapon (munitions or delivery vehicle)
* Minimum civilian deaths (see Note 2)
* Maximum civilian deaths (see Note 2)
* Sources (at least two sources from the list in section 2 above)
Reliability of data extraction will be increased by ensuring that each data
extraction is checked and signed off by two further independent scrutineers
prior to publication, and all data entries will be kept under review should
further details become available at a later date.
Note 2. Definitions of minimum and maximum
Reports of numbers dead vary across sources. On-the-ground uncertainties and
potential political bias can result in a range of figures reported for the
same incident. To reflect this variation, each incident will be associated
with a minimum and maximum reported number of deaths. No number will be
entered into the count unless it meets the criteria in the following
paragraphs. This conservative approach allows relative certainty about the
minimum.
Maximum deaths. This is the highest number of civilian deaths published by
at least two of our approved list of news media sources.
Minimum deaths. This is the same as the maximum, unless at least two of the
listed news media sources publish a lower number. In this case, the lower
number is entered as the minimum. The minimum can be zero if there is a
report of "zero deaths" from two of our sources. "Unable to confirm any
deaths" or similar wording (as in an official statement) does NOT amount to
a report of zero, and will NOT lead to an entry of "0" in the minimum
column.
As a further conservative measure, when the wording used in both reports
refers to "people" instead of civilians, we will include the total figure as
a maximum but enter "0" into the minimum column unless details are present
clearly identifying some or all of the dead as civilian - in this case the
number of identifiable civilians will be entered into the minimum column
instead of "0". The word "family" will be interpreted in this context as
meaning 3 civilians. [Average Iraqi non-extended family size: 6. -CIA
Factbook 2002.]

If one visits the Bodycount website more facts can be easily established,
and in any case, that listing is far superior than relying on an anecdotal
representations made by one soldier. The fact simply is, that Bodycount
figures are the best data that we have, and it is solidly based on
ascertainable reports so quoting them is perfectly acceptable on this or any
other page. We simply cannot personally verify every fact that we use, and
faith in the accuracy of a reporting agency is always a question. In this
case they meet standards for and accuracy.
The question of the degree of support of soldiers for this war is best
answered by the DoD (Department of Defense) study that reports over 70% of
soldiers in Iraq as having low morale. Another DoD study shows that the
suicide rate among US soldiers in Iraq is double the normal rate in the
Armed Forces.

The statement that US military's strict regulations will prevent the
unauthorized importation of artifacts is just silly. We have many laws
against drunk driving and tens of thousands of folks drive drunk every
weekend, we have draconian laws against drug use and over 40% of folks in
this country have used or are using illegal drugs. Anyone, who has been in
the military knows that many regulations serve more as a challenge to be
overcome than a deterrent.

Last point. All of our soldiers are trained to kill. They are therefore
either actual or potential killers. That is how they are making their
living. In fact, because of the type of warfare currently in Iraq additional
training in killing is given drivers, mechanics and other non-combat
personnel. All our soldiers are volunteers who have acquired the skill of
destroying human life. They may be our sisters, brothers, sons and fathers,
but they are also trained to kill and should be considered dangerous.
The core question that we should not forget on this list is: Should a museum
accept war booty? In my opinion, under no circumstances should a civilian
museum do so, on moral grounds alone, leaving aside legal and policy
questions. The facts above help contribute to the moral dimension of this
problem.
PeaceNick