Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 11:12:27 -0400
I greatly appreciate the honest answers I have recieved so far on this topic
and please feel free to respond to me directly as it is a sensitive matter.
However these responses have only increased my curiousity.

Perhaps I should set a scenario:

A small institution back in the 60's accepted 500 works by an unknown artist.
   In the 90's the institution is desparate for space but has no room due to
the 500 undesirables.
The works were never accessioned but put in storage. The artist is dead and
has no living relatives.

What are the reprecussions of destroying works that were formerly entrusted
in your care?

How is this policy put into place? get past a board? doesn't this take years?

Are destructive options listed in deaccessioning manuals?

Are there companies "seedy" or reputable that will do this for you?

And is it right to destroy the life's work of an artist ? Bad karma?

Thanks,

B.A. Leach
NYU