From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:32:15 -0400
Please pardon this blatant plea for museum funding. I hope you'll agree this is
really about the extraordinary efforts of a dedicated museum staffer as much
as it is about raising money for a starving museum.

One of my most favorite museums, the Milwaukee Public Museum, is going
through some tough financial times. The powers that be are taking care of
legal action against the bad guys but I want to tout the extraordinary efforts
of a really good guy. You can read all about the tough times on the internet
but this is the only place you can read about how dedicated the staff are.

Dawn Sher Thomae, Collections Manager in the Anthropology department and
Assistant Professor of Museum Studies at UW-Milwaukee is, in her own quiet
way, raising the spirits of her fellow employees by raising money to help the
museum.

First she organized a giant rummage sale in her back yard. Now, on May 27th,
she's planning to walk 10 miles of Milwaukee's lakefront to support the
museum.

The museum received a $5 million matching grant from the Bradley Foundation
and needs to raise an additional $5 million to match it.

You can help by pledging donations in support of Dawn's walk. Contact Dawn
at [log in to unmask] for more details.

The Milwaukee Public Museum, the 5th largest Natural History museum in the
US, cut its staff by over 40% last year. Remaining staff took pay cuts so they
could stay open.

Diane Gutenkauf