From:
Richard Gerrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:52:44 -0400
Hi Kathy

a truly interesting question to ponder.  Both for "how big is big?" and "how
do you measure it?"

Do you count a series of unrelated databases on several unconnected servers
as one database?  Or is a single database defined as what you can search fron
a single workstation with single SQL query?  Are image files stored near- or
off-line considered part of the db?  Is it number of records or number of
artifacts/specimens represented or disk storage space required?

BTW, my databases won't come even close 45,000 records (70,000 artifacts) in
a single database.  However, we do have five other databases (archives,
libraries, conservation, images, and archaeology).

Richard Gerrard
Registrar, Toronto Historical Board