From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:49:57 -0400
Hi Jeanne - I do not use cedar nor is it typically recommended for long-term
storage of woolens.  It doesn't really repel the moths and it certainly does
nothing to kill the 'flyers' which lay the larvae, which is what really
damages the fabrics as they crawl along and munch on them.  Cedar oils can
stain the textiles/garments and don't really do much to help the situation.
Lavender, another 'housewife' trick, also does nothing to solve the issue.
About the only thing available to a lay person is PDB (Para dichlorobenzene)
moth balls.  Regular moth balls don't really do much except smell, but at
least the PDB will help kill the flyers before they can lay more eggs.  The
suggestion is typically to put them in a muslin bag and hang them ABOVE the
clothing.

But above else, as with all issues of IMP, cleanliness IS next to Godliness.
Keeping the away cleaned on a regular basis will do more to solve the issue
than anything else (just make sure you get rid of the vacuum bag, observe
usual precautions re: vacuuming objects through a screen, etc.)  Having gone
through a 2 year freezing process of a clothing/textile collection, I
wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  Hope this helps.  Best, VivianLea
Stevens

VivianLea Stevens
Curator, Old Barracks Museum
609-396-1776