From:
Franklin J Headley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 20:23:07 -0500
Peter,

I know of an exhibit I saw at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond,
Virginia in December.  It was on the public display of Confederate Flags.  I
thought it treated two sides of the issue pretty fairly, giving voice to groups
such as the Sons of the Confederacy who do not see the flag as a symbol of
racism but of the Old South, and the
civil rights groups who see it very much as an emblem of a nation created
to perpetuate slavery.  There is a third side, of course, which is of those
who are racist and use the flag as a symbol, and I think the exhibit
rightly explains their views, without condoning them.

Franklin Headley