From:
Jan af Burén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:04:14 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: SOHS Collections Department <[log in to unmask]>
Diskussionsgrupper: bit.listserv.museum-l
Till: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: den 16 januari 1998 13:15
Ämne: Art for Loan

>Do any of you loan artwork or objects to businesses?  What are your
>specifications?  Thanks in advance.

The Swedish National Art Museums lend artworks to  the authorities. Since
the late 19th century we have lent those artworks which for different
reasons are not going to be shown in the museum or which are considered
necessary to have in the museum for studies. Central authorities as the
parliament, ministeries, county governors' houses, Swedish embassies are
given priority. The typical lender is a medium sized authority all over
Sweden. The artworks that we lend are mostly paintings and prints. Earlier
we have also lent furniture, textiles, pottery or glass ware. The loans are
placed in public spaces such as conference rooms or in rooms occupied of
persons in leading positions. The lender must guarantee a reasonable
security. The costs for the lender is very low, just to cover our own costs
for handling the loans. They must also have an insurance.
The original motif for this business is of coarse the accessibility of the
art beloning to the state. We have now nearly 10.000 objects places as
long-term loans, in Sweden or abroad.
I wonder if there is an similar activity somewhere else?

By the way, what is SOHS?

Jan af Burén
Nationalmuseum
Box 161 76