From:
"Gray, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:08:48 -0000
Regarding using Access for an online public database, my understanding is that this can be done, but that Access falls over with more than a small number of concurrent users.

I did use Access for a searchable version of our database put up in a gallery for an exhibition in 2000 on a standalone PC, which had a web-form as a front end and ran in a browser (the web page was created in Access 2000, a so-called "Data Access Page"). This allowed people to create a filter to bring out the records they wanted, but to be frank it was a bit clunky and I didn't have the time to get it working in a user-friendly manner (though I'm sure it could be done).

> .. (the right way
> would be PHP and MySQL .. but leave that for another day) ..

I'd concur with that, but you can also use PHP to connect to an Access database (using odbc_connect) and run queries using PHP's ODBC functions. It is however relatively trivial to export Access to MySQL.

> Roy Hemmat

Best wishes

Pete Gray
--