From:
Chris Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:02:39 EDT
"I have found that those who remain single-minded in their purpose and

prepared to be adaptable in their approach, DO succeed.  This adaptability

may also necessitate relocation."

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Roger on this note.  Week after week,
throughout the summer we've seen postings from recent graduates seeking jobs,
some of whom seem to want to limit themselves in one way or another, either
geographically, economically, etc.  While the museum biz IS very competitive,
I think this list demonstrates that there ARE quite a few jobs out there if
one is willing to be creative and flexible.  Another good resource is state
personnel websites.  Openings at state museums and historic sites are
routinely posted throughout the year.  I realize there are certain factors
that can hamper the job search.....for instance it's probably not very
practical or realistic for someone in North Carolina to pursue a job on the
West Coast, unless you do have that single-mindedness Roger mentioned.  As
someone else mentioned, I've found a great deal of it boils down to luck, and
in some cases politics and other intangibles.

I do think it is rather Polly Anna-ish to simply toss your cap and gown aside
and say "ok museum world.....hire me!"  Without meaning to be offensive, I've
gotten a sense of this attitude in some of the postings on this list, not to
mention from summer interns where I work.  We all have been through varying
levels of college and/or graduate school, so unfortunatley we're not that
unique.  In this respect I don't think the museum world is any different from
retail, teaching, law, big business or any other profession.

As cliche' as it may sound, I'd say to those job-seekers, just keep plugging
away and be flexible......there are some jobs out there but rarely do any of
us start out with our dream job.....I know I'm still waiting :)

Chris Woodson
Museum Tech
Roanoke Island Festival Park/Elizabeth II state site
Manteo, NC

P.S.  On a different note, does anyone out there know of any surfing museums?
 I would assume in Hawaii or California?