From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:26:39 -0400
At 10:43 AM 9/1/98 -0700, Olivia S. Anastasiadis wrote:

>Our webmaster doubles as a bartender at night.  Here are his formulas for
>margaritas and martinis.
[...]
>MARTINI:  Easy!
>
>Chill a Martini glass
>
>Shot of Vodka:  Serve only chilled (best if you keep the bottle in the
>freezer) Absolut or Stoli.
>
>couple drops of dry vermouth.
>
>Ring the glass with a twist of lemon (only the rind) and then drop it in.
>
>Add an olive if so desired.
>
>And use one of those "flared" martini glasses, they always look so
>exotic.   Cheers!

This, of course, is not a recipe for a real martini, but a vodka martini, a
pale and pallid proxy for a real martini.  Authentic martinis are based on
gin.  In addition, the vegetable component is either an olive OR a "twist"
(i.e. a lemon twist), not optionally both.

Here is Robert's Martini Recipe:
Cooled Martini Glass: (must hold apx 4 shots of fluid).
Wipe edges with "twist" (or drop in a pre-rinced olive).
Pour to brim with super cooled Bombay gin (from freezer) (Bombay Sapphire
is better). (Beefeater, if on a budget or away from civilization). Keep at
least three feet away from any *ermouth bottle.