From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 03:19:54 -0500
Larisa Asked:

>I'm trying to find out about literary museums which exist in North America,
>such as the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. If you know of any others, please
>let me know.

In Baltimore we have both the Edgar Allen Poe House and the H.L.Mencken
House, both tend toward the historic house side of the museum world,
although they both have events, programs and exhibits of a literary
nature.  A better example of what might be termed a "Literary Museum"
would be the Mencken Room of the Enoch Pratt Free Library which has a
better collection of Mencken stuff.   I wonder how many libraries in
North America are "literary museums" in function if not in name?  Most
libraries I have visited deserve the recognotion for collections,
educational programs, events, and exhibits on literary topic contemporary
and historic.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808