From:
Maggie Harrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:59:21 EDT
Dear Thomas,
Perhaps I may be singular about this, but the issue for me isn't SPAM,
although  that is certainly a concern.  The real issue is what legitimate
interest does the NY Times have in requiring that I tell them my salary and
my job and other private information in order to read their articles?  The
SERIOUS question, for we who use the internet often, is how is this
information being used and how compiled and the fact that we, essentially,
have no control over it once we "join" the NY Times.  I would have no problem
with filing a "user account" that simply asks for my name, e-mail, even,
perhaps, address...but the rest is really intrusive.  I know this seems a
side issue, but it actually impacts many Museums.  I have been very dismayed
by some of the sites that purport to be sites to contact volunteers or raise
funds for not-for-profits, or even help with on-line internet sales for
Museums and Galleries, but have very extensive clauses that allow them to
"use" the cookies they compile - literally our membership lists and
information (those that sign up or use the services) in manners that seem
uncontrolled and inappropriate.  They call it "research" or "survey"
use....but it seems a bit more pernicious.

I believe it is important to be cautious in these areas, particularly when we
ask our membership to use such sites.

Has anyone else had this concern?
Best,
Maggie Harrer