From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:51:47 -0600
A couple of thoughts.  First, the IRS doesn't give a hoot about
"accessioning".   This is a museum made-up term that has no legal meaning.
The IRS only cares if title has been transferred to the recepient and if the
specimen will be used in a way that falls within the purpose of the
organization.  Certainly use of a specimen for educational purposes by an
educational institution fulfills that criteria.   Even if the specimen will
not be used in accordance with the mission the donor can still get a tax
deduction, just not as big a one.

Secondly, a museum (or other 501c3) does not have to keep a specimen for two
years before deaccessioning (another made-up museum term that the IRS
doesn't care about).   The mid-1980's tax law changes required that museums
file an 8282 form if an object for a tax deduction was taken via an 8283
form (Non-Cash Charitable Contributions) ceases to be the property of the
institution within 2 years of the gift.   My understanding is that this
allows the IRS to check on the relationship between the appraised value (in
the 8283 form) and the value received upon sale by the institution (in the
8282 form).   I do not believe it adversely affects the donor's original tax
deduction, BUT I COULD BE WRONG and would appreciate one of our tax experts
opinions here.

Hope this helps.

Janice Klein
Director
Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College