From:
Janet Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:15:26 -0600
Peter Youngman wrote:

> I'm indirectly aware of a small historical museum director who does
> everything, including run the parent society, and seems to keep
> everyone, including the taxpayers, happy.

Let me add my two cents here.  I don't see any reason why a
Director/Curator should not sit on a board.  However, if the staff-Board
relationship is correct, the E.D. or in his/her absence, the Curator,
would be present at every Board meeting as well as every committee
meeting.  And he/she would take an active role.

Let's keep in mind that the standard role for a Board of a non-profit is
to make policy and raise money.  Board members might volunteer but when
they do, they take off their Board hats and become volunteers under the
direction of staff.  If a Board is running the organization in the
presence of paid staff, the organization is doomed to fail over time.
You can't run an organization effectively by committee.  If the
organization has paid staff then the Board needs to let the staff run
the place.

Granted, there are risks accompanying this position.  Better to take
them than to be miserable and leave in frustration or be fired.

I would suggest that the person who raised this question look at some
publications.  A good one is BOARD AND ADMINISTRATOR, a monthly
newsletter put out by the Aspen Institute.  Each month a newsletter goes
to the Board members and a different one to the Executive but the
subject matter is the same in both--just approached from a different
perspective.  It is very instructive on the proper relationship between
an Executive and the Board.

There are many others.  Search the web under the subject "non-profit"
and you will find a more than ample reading list.  Also, check with your
local United Way.  It might have a non-profit management training
program in which you (and maybe the Board) can enroll in.

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar
Angleton, Texas 77515