From:
Steven Lockwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:33:38 -0800
Dear Kristin and Everyone:

I can't claim to have any knowledge about RFID technology; however, it has
been my experience with barcode technology that the role of human beings has
a lot more to do with the success or failure of these systems than does the
hardware or software. It is easy to say that you can wave a hand-held
barcode or RFID scanner and get all your artwork information, but the trick
is preparing and training staff for the changes in the way inventory is
tracked. Also, don't underestimate the amount of time, energy and resources
($$) it will take to apply barcodes (or RFID) to packing materials
surrounding artworks, tags, folders, etc. Barcodes (and probably RFID) can
help facilitate the movement of large groups of objects, but many individual
objects will still need to be accounted for independently. Barcodes fall
off, get taken off for exhibition or conservation, get misplaced, get
applied to objects and fail to be recorded in the database, etc.

In general, it has been my experience that scholarly / academic types loathe
the idea of using / maintaining barcodes. Most of our collections are either
barcoded or in the process of being barcoded; however, many people resist
the idea of printing barcodes on exhibition labels as a quick means of
updating the contents of exhibtion galleries. Don't underestimate the
Luddites.

Stephen Lockwood, Museum Registrar
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco