From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:37:38 -0600
Hi Cedar-
I have been in a similar situation at a previous institution. If you had to
mark everything, I would suggest that you have a standard numbering system
(I feel trinomial is best, but...) that includes a prefix which designates
them as one collection or the other. (such a P2006.1.1  for your permanent
collection and M2006.1.1 for the Mansion collection )  If you decided to do
that, you could move the current mansion number into the Other or old number
space in Past Perfect.  With that said however, you may not want to change
Past Perfect.  If not, use the system in place and assign names to the
storage locations for those items that you know came from the family,
Studiostorage or storage1 for example, to replace the use of the room in the
mansion system.

As for the items in storage.  I would do the following...
For items you know came with the family collection - follow the system
association with the mansion and family
For items you know are part of the permanent collection - follow the system
of the permanent collection
For items with unknown origin - consider them to be "found in collections"
and number them into the permanent collection with the understanding that if
you can ever clear up the mystery, you can move them appropriately.

Another thought, I'm not sure how you are using the Past Perfect
"Collection" field currently, but you do not have to use the name of the
donor or a specific type of collection.  You could use "Mansion Collection"
for all items associated with the family and Mansion gift and use the
trinomial system of the permanent collection (Most items may be all one
accession if they were gifted together).  That field is searchable and is
easily recognizable.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me. We are using
the Collection field in a similar way here and I have used prefix systems at
other institutions if you would like to discuss this further.
Hope this helps
Good Luck
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager