From:
David Hupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:12:26 -0500
At 11:52 AM 11/21/00 -0700, you (Audra Oliver) wrote:
>Hello Mark
>I'll have to join the rest of my colleagues with the disclaimer that I am
>much, much, too young to have attended school in the 40s!  From the sound of
>it, none of the people from the 40s survive. ....

Sorry, Audra, I just didn't have the time to go to the funeral that you so
kindly arranged for me.

School in Brooklyn in the forties was just that: school, Elementary or
High.  No middles, lowers or uppers. I went to PS 226 (I hear all the
cheers from my schoolmates on this list). The back of each classroom had a
wardrobe with sliding doors designed to hide coats and furtive trysts.  The
City was just starting to experiment with Jr. High Schools, but I went
directly to Lafayette High School with 4,000 students (I can't hear much
cheering from this group) and the only private space you had was your gym
locker.  Boys took a class in woodworking and girls had homemaking.  It had
a great soccer team before soccer was popular in the US (many immigrants
from Europe) and Sandy Koufax was a year ahead of me.

No school busses except for the handicapped, who were for the most part
kept out of sight, as everyone was expected to use public transportation
and run up and down four flights of stairs.  We were not bothered too much
by wandering dinosaurs but living through the ice age was a bit tough.  It
taught us to persevere.

David Hupert