From:
Sally Baulch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:48:00 CDT
The reply to your queary on general expertise on Navajo blankets is there is
no way we can be experts on everything.  You're obviously giving the librarian
[Achance to look the answer up; give the museum professional a chance (and
yes, not everyone knows where to look--you did right by asking the list
because you're talking to a group with a wide enough experience base to answer
your question).

Two suggestions: at your local bookstore/library, look for "Caring for your
Collections" put together by The National Committee to Save America's Cultural
Collections.  This book has essays on the care of many materials including
mounting, exhibiting and storing textiles.  If you have a little more time,
write the Texas Memorial Museum, 2400 Trinity, Austin TX 78705 for the
Conservation Notes issue that deals with hanging textiles.  I believe it's a
measely buck.... And yes, you're right to worry about UV exposure in your
home. I think that will be the ultimate decider on whether to display your
textiles.

At one time at TMM we did do object identification, but with a small staff in
our division, we decided to not do any (UNLESS it was from an area we are
REALLY familiar with and could do fast).  We now tell people that when we did
do identifications in areas we weren't familiar with, we hit the books at the
local library and encourage them to do the same.

Sally B.
Texas Memorial Museum
History/Anthropolpgy Division