From:
Susan Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:08:49 -0400
Sigh.  Your situation probably applies to at least half of all museums.

There are sometimes situations that *do* call for the creation of a
supporting 501(c)(3) whose fundraising is then directed solely to the
museum.  But lack of financial support from the fiduciary body is not
one of them.  And of course this suggestion comes from the board:
"Don't solicit me.  Solicit that other guy standing over there!"

Do your board members have term limits?  Even if it is some crazy long
limit, it is best practice to have term limits.  And at 25 members, your
board is getting a bit large.  Could be a good time for some housecleaning.
Has any formal attempt been made to educate the board about their
duties?  Is there a board handbook?  Have you done a training seminar
with them with an outside facilitator?
If the problem is one of capacity rather than inclination (i.e., they
truly can't afford to make a major gift so they opt to make no gift at
all), some education around the importance of participation (even at the
$100 level) and its role in leveraging other funding is crucial.
The agent for change is your board chair.  If he or she is not up the
task, it is worth strategizing how to remedy this situation (short of
creating a supporting organization.)  If he or she just needs additional
support and knowledge, Board Source (http://www.boardsource.org/) is a
good start.

Good luck!
Susan Ruderman