From:
"MARTHA A. MILLS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 07:37:58 EDT
The City of Chicago and three people loosely known as aldermen (alderpersons for
those of PC persuasion, though I'd not like to admit one was female), settled
the suit against it arising out of the raid on the Art Institute 6 years ago,
and seizure of a picture of Mayor Harold Washington in female underwear for
$95,000.  Also involved in the settlement was an agreement to issue guidelines
to the police to avoid seizing things protected by the First Amendment, and an
agreement not to appeal an earlier ruling that the aldermen and police violated
the artist's rights and did not act under any shield of immunity.

All in all, it was a pretty petty and headline grabbing performance when it
occurred, however hurtful the painting may have seemed.  Now the aldermen and
the city are going to be fighting over who pays legal bills, with the aldermen
wanting to stick the city with about $100,000 each.  I, for one, hope the
aldermen have to pay them individually.  Additionally, it would be nice to see
the ACLU donate some portion of the fees to the Art Institute.

Martha A. Mills
71167.1004
Chicago, IL