From:
patricia l roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:34:23 -0500
Basic care generally involves keeping the things as flat as possible, and
like everything else, protect it from light and dust.  For flat textile
pieces, lay the piece out on a piece of inert tissue or tyvek-type
material (depending on the weight and size of the piece), and lay in a box
or drawer large enough to accomodate the piece.  Some pieces may be
rolled, but the specifics of how and what to roll depends to some extent
on the characteristics of the piece.  Three dimensional pieces (including
costume) require different procedures

To remove creases, try simply sandwiching the pieces between two pieces of
glass (you might want to put a piece of tissue between the glass and the
textile, but be very careful to avoid any folds or wrinkles in the tissue
as they may be transferred to the textile).  Just let the weight of the
glass press out the creases--give it a week or so.  Don't
do this if the humidity in your space is above about 40%.

If the piece is strong and stable, and the dyes are stable, you may be
able to steam the piece, but you MUST check for the stability of the dyes.

If the pieces are at all fragile or valuable, contact a textile
conservator!

Pat Roath
after Feb 15: 406-755-9258