From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:38:57 -0500
hi leslie:

i've just come up against the same problem:

i've found the most useful way to separate them is into three categories:

school tour attendance
non-school tour attendance
non-paid attendance

in small institutions its important to capture every person coming through
the door.  for instance, we consider the adults who accompany the school
tours as attendnace, but we count them as comps.

also, i make a distincition between paying school tours and non-paying
(right now the majority are being paid for through a grant, but it doesn't
help to count them as comps)

i then use two columns - one to count the number of people and the other to
count the income.  i also include a line item for the gift shop.  again, i
can quickly get to dollars and numbers pretty easy.

we use a point of sale system, so outputting a table to excel is easy.  i
then have to do some sorting, but seems to work pretty well.  if you'd
like, i'd be happy to send you a copy of the spreadsheet.  it would
probably make more sense that way.  am new to the list-serv, so i don't
know of a way to attach it to this message.  will send under separate cover.