From:
David Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:28:34 -0600
While I hardly ever disagree with David Haberstich, I believe I'm going
to on this logo business. Frankly, I have never understood why museum
folks are against using an appropriately sized (i.e. small) logo on a
credit panel in addition to the name of the organization. At the museum
where I labored for many years we certainly used OUR logo on credit
panels and title panels and intro panels and occasionally on every text
panel. Somewhere I once heard that public television stations (in the
United States) are not supposed to display the logo(s) of sponsors of
particular programs or of corporate donors to the station in general. I
assume this can't be true since every public television program I have
ever watched begins and ends with such logos. But I digress . . .

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:37:56 EST "David E. Haberstich"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> To further clarify that, let me reverse it and ask, why is it
> necessary to utilize logos, when just spelling out the company's name
in a
> standard sentence within a credit label should suffice?

David, if as a museum visitor I want to know who helped with the exhibit
or who lent artifacts or who is responsible for the whole thing or who
made it financially possible (and maybe influenced the exhibit's tone and
viewpoint), I believe I have every right to expect the panel to
communicate with me as effectively as possible. The use of logos will
probably allow me to get the information I want more quickly and easily.
Yes, the logos should be small; yes, the type should be small; yes, the
credit copy should be placed in a less important location; but still it
should be there and, once I find it, it should be as easy as possible for
me to read it.

>  However,  please note that NEH isn't trying to sell a product, as
Coca-Cola is.  I don't
> think anyone would look at an NEH logo in an exhibit and think, "Hey,
they  must be
> good guys to fund this wonderful exhibit.  Let's buy a couple of cases
of
> their product."  NEH should be acknowledged because its funds are
public and
> taxpayers have a right to know where their money is going.  I hope
these
> nuances are not too subtle.

Here I most definitely disagree. My guess is that the folks at NEH really
hope that exhibit visitors will leave saying, 'Wow, that was a great
exhibit that NEH funded. I can't wait to get home and write my
congresspersons in support of that terrific agency.' OK, I never said the
NEH guys were terribly realistic (just look as some of the projects they
have funded <g>). Is this the reason they funded the exhibit? Of course
not. Is this the reason they would prefer to have their logo on the
credit panel? Hmmm, wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Anyway, appropriate logos on credit panels never bothered me as an
exhibit producer, and I find them generally useful as an exhibit visitor,
so I must respectfully disagree with the other David H. on this point.

Happy trails.  David

David Haynes     [log in to unmask]      San Antonio

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.