From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 23:30:33 -0700
Although my language was terse, and offended at least half a dozen people
(including those who responded to me and not the list) the assertion was
valid.

I've been there, done that, and have the T-shirt.

Are the curators committed?  Of course they are.  But I have dealt with
boards of directors, and heads of development (at the county, state and
national levels), and museum/library directors.

They are running scared, and have been for many years.

When I was in graduate school I began to question the validity of
collection, and I still mull that over.

Organizations collect.  Sometimes (all too few times) they collect to
preserve.  All too often they collect and store away in dusty holding pens.

If my language offended anyone, I apologize.  I do not, and will not,
apologize for the sentiment.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR