From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:31:57 PDT
There are three (of which I am aware) lighthouse lenses in Alaska on exhibit
at museums.  I'm not certain from where the one at the Alaska State Museum
in Juneau is from.  The Sheldon Museum in Haines has the Eldred Rock
Lighthouse lens,and we have here at the Valdez Museum the lens from
Hinchenbrook Island.  Through the efforts of a small group of people these
lenses were saved from destruction when the Coast Guard replaced them.

I'm lighting our lens with a $3.00 thrift shop lamp right now (it's amazing
how much light can come from a 25-watt bulb), and haven't taken time to find
out where to obtain a better lamp.  I'll use some of these sources sent to
the list to see if I can find a better lighting device.  This is another
example of how some of us who don't ask the question benefit from the
answers.  Thank you for responding to the List.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Curator of Collections
Valdez Museum