From:
Rick Kerschner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:13:46 -0800
As you probably know, what you have are cluster flies. I have been
dealing with them, or tolerating them, at the museum and at home for
many years. They usually show up in old buildings, but even some new
buildings that are not tightly built have some problems with them. They
seem to enter the rooms at gaps between the walls and ceiling, or floors
and ceiling, and around the windows. The only way to permanently solve
the problem is to really tighten up the building. Over several years I
purchased all new windows for my home, and that helped a lot. There are
no flies in the rooms where I have removed the deteriorating plaster and
lath, re-insulated, put in a plastic sheet vapor barrier, and hung new
drywall.

We have tried all the methods that you mentioned, plus more. One of the
most successful methods is to "work with them." They are going to the
windows to try to get out, so crack the windows slightly at the top or
bottom (top works better). Since they only enter the buildings on the
warm days in the early fall, you do not have to worry about them
crawling back into the window openings after those few weeks, and since
they mainly show up on warm, sunny days, you do not have to worry about
losing too much heat from the building.

Since most of the cluster flies at home seem to come down from the
attic, I have had some success with placing "No Pest" strips in the
attic, but they contain a pretty potent chemical (actually nerve gas)
that I am not comfortable having in living areas.

Another method that we have just recently tried is the ultrasonic or
infrared pest control products that plug into wall outlets. Most pest
control professionals claim they do not work or that the animals and
insects soon get used to them. However, one of our security officers
recently purchased a few of one of the inexpensive products, installed
them in the problem rooms, and claims they significantly reduced the
cluster fly population. We have also had initial success repelling
rodents from the rooms where they are installed. I remain somewhat
skeptical, but I am planning to buy four units for $20 to test at home.
If you do try these products, be sure you buy units that claim to be
effective against insects, and use them according to directions. Some
units are quite directional, so plugging them into wall sockets that are
low to the floor and behind furniture will significantly limit any
positive effects that they might have.

Pest control firms can spray the outside of the buildings and the lawn
close to the building on the first cool days in the fall to limit the
infestations. This costs several hundred dollars a building and uses
pesticides, but at least it is outside. They claim it works quite well,
but to date, we have not resorted to this method. Finally, I have just
been informed by my one of my collection assistants that cleans behind
the barriers in all our museum buildings, that old-timers claim that a
good control method is to keep chickens in the year, especially in the
spring when the flies are buzzing around the ground. If it fits with
your interpretative plan, it might work!

Good Luck.

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT  05482
802 985-3348 Ext 3361