From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:30:55 -0800
Anne,

I would strong suggest that you get an experienced conservator to
review the engineering specs and plans for the space - and this should
be done even before the architects have final drawings. It is vital
that you understand what lies over any areas where collections are
porposed to be stored and / or exhibited. This is especially important
when you are doing an adpative reuse of an existing sturcture rather
than building brand new from the ground up - where you can plan early
on in your program statement to avoid water and drain lines and keep
all mechanical systems largely in the corridors. A conservator should
review the current HVAC system to see if it is suitable for a
concentrated collections / exhibition area. Also, look at your fire
suppression systems closely. I have seen problems with dry-pipe
systems dripping oil out of the pipe joins onto collections.
Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator