From:
Sarah Gulick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 02:14:41 -0400
If you do not have the technical ability or budget to set up a secure
website with registration... a simple, fast, and inexpensive
alternative would be to password protect the PDF, which can be done
in Adobe Acrobat.

It would require a finding aid so researchers would be aware the
material was available. They could then simply email you for the
password which would allow them to view, download, print etc., the
PDF. You would have the added benefit of compiling a list of people
who were using the information and their purpose.

Not sure if this solves the original problem, or the amount of
expected usage, but is a simple solution which would provide some
control for your institution and flexibly for the researchers you are
trying to assist...

Kind regards,
Sarah Gulick