From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:47:30 -0800
Take it from the other side of the coin, the NPO whore
whose job it is to talk someone into making such a
major gift.

In my little liberal mind, and in a perfect world (the
former being true, the latter being just highly
desirable, though I recognize perfect is entirely
subjective), I'd like to think that people gave of
themselves, their time and tithes, out of the pure
benevolence of it all.  But philanthrophy, I'm afraid,
is usually more of a WIIFM (What's In It For Me?).

Some give for the feel-good effect.  I like this
charity, and I will give to it--instead of another for
which I don't care much.

Some give for the tax write-offs.  It's such a joy to
do telefunding and hear someone say they would like to
make a contribution, but their accountant will kill
them because they have given their write-off quota for
the year.

And then there are the corporations who are trying to
buy public goodwill.  They want to be perceived as the
good neighbor.  So they buy a ballpark, or sponsor a
hospital wing, or contribute to an IMAX theater so
their name will be plastered across the facility, and
patrons are supposed to walk away and remember they
were so generous that anything they do should be
endorsed and/or forgiven.

Being in funding can be quite rewarding when you
"score" a great contribution and you reach goals that
allow the rest of the operations to keep going.  And
it can be quite thankless when you're the object of
some patron's vexation for which you had no part.  It
was such a joy to be on the phones after Patti LaBelle
came to the Hollywood Bowl and told off the entire
audience a couple of nights running.  We, on the
phones, heard about that for years to come.

It's tough to have something for which you believe
sold out to the highest bidder.  It was tough, when I
no longer had faith in my former for-profit employer,
to see their name plastered on some ballpark while we
employees were losing our jobs.  It was tough to see
them encourage us to volunteer, but then take credit
for those volunteer hours--we did this on our own
time, being "good public citizens"--as though it was
something the corporation had done, or to see it take
credit for the $2 million plus its employees donated
out of their pockets each year.

How else are you going to get the funds to keep things
going if you don't have sellouts as an option?  The
government isn't sponsoring things much because this
is a tax-cut, keep it for yourself time in government.
 Corporations are downsizing, and the job market is
tough.  Silicone Valley has seen many of its entities
go bust.  Patrons don't want to pay one penny more
than they have to.  So selling naming rights may be
the only alternative to keep something going.

It's tough, and in a perfect world, it wouldn't be so.
 But I'm afraid my magic wand just doesn't seem to be
working this morning.

--- Issaquah Historical Society Info
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And on the other hand... I can appreciate your
> outrage. I do share it, in
> principle.
>
> But in reality, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the chance to
> be a corporate whore if
> it meant that I could have a little more storage
> space, or a textile case
> for exhibits, or some flashy interpretive signs.
>
> Erica in Issaquah
> Where we remain pure and unsullied, but largely
> unfunded, and where the
> grass definitely looks greener on the other side of
> the fence.
>
> Erica S. Maniez
> Museum Director, Issaquah Historical Society
> 425/392-3500
> www.issaquahhistory.org

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
Check out the REVISED Got Links, your one-stop portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414  Updated 02/14/02