From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:01:35 -0400
CSM Sebby - The only thing that gives me pause in your storage solution are the
plastic trays.  I know beggers can't be choosers, but some of those racks come with
metal trays.  Perhaps that might be a better solution?  Also, given the fragility of
the artifacts, I'm wondering if a dust cover made from something like Tyvek (or
used chute material) might be better.  The canvas is very heavy isn't it?  (Am
awaiting input from some of the conservators on the list.)

Otherwise, you describe a good creative solution for a sticky situation.  It's nice to
see folks using their noodle in this day and age!
Sincerely,
VivianLea Stevens, Curator
Old Barracks Museum
www.barracks.org
------------- Original message follows -------------

Kirk-

As with most state run military museums, we're long on artifacts and short
on money and facilities.  We had a similar problem with over a hundred
aircraft and armored vehicle models in our collection.

We came up with a unique, and better yet, cheap solution.  We got a local
bakery to donate several rolling bread racks with the plastic trays.  They
are approximately 36x36 inches.  I can't imagine a B-36 model being any
larger than that.

We then placed foam core on the bottom of the trays and had the fabric shop
at our supporting Army National Guard Combined Support Maintenance Shop
(CSMS) make us some heavy olive drab canvas covers with heavy duty brass
zippers.  I'm sure being an Air National Guard museum; you have access to
the parachute riggers in your flying units who have the material and
equipment to make the covers.  If not go up to Camp Ripley and ask the Army
guys at your state's CSMS.

Does it meet AAM standards?  Probably not.  But is it practical for a museum
with little or no funds to buy the correct materiel, definitely yes!  The
beauty of this system is that it's self storing; you just roll the carts
around where you need them or where they take the least amount of space.

Daniel M. Sebby
Command Sergeant Major
California Center for Military History
California State Military Department

Historian and Webmaster
US Army Museum Activity, California
(California State Military Museum)

Preserving California's Military Heritage
www.militarymuseum.org